July 14, 2014 – San Francisco, CA – PipeLineNews.org – Though it’s generally been accepted that Boko Haram was responsible for the June 25 blast at a Lagos, Nigeria fuel depot, the group hadn’t taken credit for it.
In the interim this has allowed government officials to not only deny that Boko was involved, but make the absurd claim that the explosion wasn’t caused by a bomb.
“Speaking to PREMIUM TIMES after the Lagos incident, Ngozi Braide, the Lagos State Police Spokesperson, said the explosion was caused by a tanker conveying petrol. “There is nothing whatsoever suggesting that it was a bomb explosion, it was a tanker loaded with fuel that burst into flames,” Ms. Braide said. The National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, attributed the cause of the fire to a gas cylinder explosion.” [source, Boko Haram Claims Responsibility For Lagos Blast , African Premium Times]
Today the government’s fairy tale regarding the Lagos carnage ended, with Abubakar Shekau [Boko Haram’s emir] stating publicly that, “A bomb went off in Lagos. I ordered (the bomber) who went and detonated it," Shekau said.” [source Tim Cocks and Isaac Abrak, Boko Haram leader claims blast in Nigeria's Lagos, Reuters, Africa]
Though Nigeria’s citizens would be far better off knowing the truth about what is happening in their country and who was causing the bloodshed, the government knows better. In the face of a growing Islamist rebellion, officials at every level of government have either lied about or attempted to minimize the terror group’s role in the worsening crisis. In what would be a comical aside were not the stakes in this conflict so high, Nigerian spokesmen at one point this year claimed the organization's leader, Abubakar Shekau, had been killed. This was of course immediately followed by a video showing a very alive Shekau taunting Jonathan’s government.
“The Nigerian response to all of this has fluctuated between attempts to minimize threat perception to ham-fisted security operations like the ``Operation Flush'' security sweeps in the northwestern part of the country which have further inflamed public opinion against the government. While Nigeria is an important partner on the global stage--one that aspires to an even more prominent role within the international community--its friends, including the United the fact that the group has been able in recent months to expand its operations beyond its base in northern Nigeria ought to be a wake-up call to both the Nigerian government and the international community…but also to call into question the assumptions of security analysts abroad who have long minimized the risks faced by a Nigeria whose vast natural and political resources, rather than powering growth and development to the benefit of all Nigerians, have sadly for most of the last half century been consumed in a downward spiral of corruption, internal conflict, and violence.” [source, Boko Haram: Emerging Threat To The United States, House Subcommittee on Intelligence Hearing, 11/30/2011]
Noting that the above testimony was taken two-and-a-half years ago, Nigeria remains mired in the losing strategy of deny and minimize.
But it’s not alone in this approach as Team Obama has been operating in the same manner for 6 plus years:
1. Deny any linkage between terrorism and Islam.
2. Deny that we are engaged in a war.
3. Treat terrorism as a law enforcement matter.
4. Refuse to identify an enemy or develop a reasonable threat doctrine.
Where Jonathan’s anti-terrorism strategy is the equivalent of a man wearing dark glasses in a poorly lit room, the Obama administration has, in the same situation, willfully blinded itself; it simply doesn’t want to be forced into acknowledging the truth.
©2014 PipeLineNews.org LL. All rights reserved.